- 1 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 4 (8 to 10-ounce) yellowfin tuna steaks, cut into 3-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup Japanese pickled ginger (available at Asian markets)
Combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl large enough to hold the tuna. Place the tuna steaks in the marinade and refrigerate for 3 hours, turning every hour.
Drain the tuna thirty minutes before cooking and bring to room temperature.
Brush the tuna with olive oil. Grill the steaks for 1 to 2 minutes on each of their six sides. The outside of the tuna should be nicely charred, and the center should be barely warm and quite rare. Cooked this way, the tuna will remain moist and flavorful.
Top each steak with pickled ginger and serve.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.