Val Verde Scramble
- Savory corn cake:
- 2 tablespoons diced roasted red peppers
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup diced green chiles
- 1 ear corn on the cob, kernels removed
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup grated jack cheese
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup corn flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon roasted red peppers
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons grated jack cheese
- 1/4 avocado, small dice
- Griddled chorizo sausage, for serving
DirectionsFor the savory corn cake:
In a mixing bowl place the roasted red peppers, green onions, green chiles, corn kernels, egg, jack cheese, buttermilk and 2 tablespoons of the melted butter. Combine well. Mix together the cornmeal, corn flour, and salt. Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet, be careful to not to overmix.
Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and brush with the remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter. Scoop 1/4 cup mounds of the mixture into the skillet leaving 1/2-inch of space between the cakes. When they are nice and golden on the bottom turn them over and cook for about 2 more minutes on the other side.
For the scramble:
Lightly whisk the eggs. Heat up a nonstick pan, add the eggs and scramble lightly. When the eggs are about almost done, add the remaining ingredients.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of 5 Spot