Val Verde Scramble
- Savory corn cake:
- 2 tablespoons diced roasted red peppers
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup diced green chiles
- 1 ear corn on the cob, kernels removed
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup grated jack cheese
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup corn flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon roasted red peppers
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons grated jack cheese
- 1/4 avocado, small dice
- Griddled chorizo sausage, for serving
DirectionsFor the savory corn cake:
In a mixing bowl place the roasted red peppers, green onions, green chiles, corn kernels, egg, jack cheese, buttermilk and 2 tablespoons of the melted butter. Combine well. Mix together the cornmeal, corn flour, and salt. Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet, be careful to not to overmix.
Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and brush with the remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter. Scoop 1/4 cup mounds of the mixture into the skillet leaving 1/2-inch of space between the cakes. When they are nice and golden on the bottom turn them over and cook for about 2 more minutes on the other side.
For the scramble:
Lightly whisk the eggs. Heat up a nonstick pan, add the eggs and scramble lightly. When the eggs are about almost done, add the remaining ingredients.
To serve, place the corn cakes on a platter, place the scramble eggs alongside and serve with griddled chorizo sausage.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.