Vanilla Roasted Strawberries
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 24 strawberries, tops cut off
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cherry or plain balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- A baking dish, about 9-inches square
Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Pour the melted butter into the baking dish (or melt it right in the dish). Use the tip of a sharp knife to scrape the insides of the vanilla bean into the pan. Place the strawberries (cut side down) in the pan. Sprinkle the berries with brown sugar and lay the vanilla pod over the berries. Bake until they are slumped and feel soft, about 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 20 minutes, then remove the berries from the pan and pour the pan juices into a small skillet.
Add the vinegar and red wine to the skillet and heat the mixture to a simmer. Turn off the heat and whisk in the cold butter. When ready to serve, place 6 strawberries on each serving plate. Drizzle the warm sauce over and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of "Gale Gand's Just A Bite" by Gale Gand and Julia Moskin: Clarkson N. Potter Publishers, 2001