Veal Osso Buco
- 4 (14-ounce) fresh veal shanks
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound mirepoix (onion, carrot, and celery), diced 1/4-inch
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup Barolo wine
- 2 quarts brown veal stock
- 4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped 1/4-inch
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, washed and chopped fine
First season the meat with olive oil, salt and fresh ground black pepper, then in a smoking hot cast iron pan sear both sides of the shank. Remove the veal and set aside. Add in the mirepoix, garlic, anchovy and tomato paste, caramelize all the ingredients together, add the Barolo to the pan to deglaze. Add the veal stock to the pan and reduce by 1/4. When reduced, pour the simmering liquid over the 4 veal shanks in a roasting pan, add the diced tomato and parsley. Cover first with plastic wrap then with aluminum foil, place in a preheated 325 degree oven for 3 1/2 hours. Check for fork tenderness. Garnish with the gremolata and shaved, roasted parsnips and carrots. (Gremolata: chopped parsley, lemon zest, bread crumbs, anchovy) Reduce braising liquid by 1/4, season and pour over shanks.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.