- 6 ounces soy milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 ounces vegan margarine
- 1 1/2 cups organic cane sugar
- 6 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups organic, unbleached white flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Creme Brulee Frosting, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup raw sugar, for bruleeing
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line standard-size cupcake pans with 16 cupcake liners.
In a small bowl, whisk together the soy milk and lemon juice; set aside until the mixture is curdled. In a medium bowl, melt the margarine in the microwave. Once melted, add in the cane sugar, applesauce, vanilla extract and the soy milk mixture. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the wet mixture and whisk together until everything is evenly incorporated with few lumps remaining.
Fill the liners three-quarters full and bake until golden and a toothpick comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Cool completely.
To assemble: Using a large round frosting tip, pipe a generous amount of Creme Brulee Frosting onto each cupcake. Refrigerate the cupcakes until the frosting is pretty stiff, about 5 minutes. Place the raw sugar in a small bowl and dip the tops of the cupcakes in the sugar. Using a small kitchen blowtorch, torch the tops of the cupcakes (the raw sugar part only) until the sugar turns a dark caramel color.
Creme Brulee Frosting:
- One 13 1/2-ounce can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons soy milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 4 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons tapioca starch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons organic brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup organic vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup vegan margarine
- 4 cups powdered sugar
Combine 1/4 cup of the coconut milk with the soy milk, cane sugar, tapioca starch and salt. Whisk well to combine. Combine the remaining coconut milk with the brown sugar and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring often. Add the coconut milk/tapioca starch mixture to the pan. Heat over medium heat, whisking continuously until thickened. Transfer the mixture to a glass bowl and set in the refrigerator to cool completely.
This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.