Vegas style Mac 'N' Cheese with Grilled Lobster
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 40 min
- 20 min
- 1 hr
- 20 min
- 8 entree servings or about 15 side servings
- 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) salted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely minced fresh onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely minced fresh garlic
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for pasta water
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1/2 pound processed cheese singles, diced
- 4 ounces sharp yellow Cheddar, shredded, plus about 4 cups for topping
- 2 ounces Italian fontina cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces fresh grated Italian Parmigiano
- 2 pounds dry macaroni elbows
- Grilled lobster, recipe follows
- Bread crumbs, recipe follows
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- Grilled Lobster:
- 1 cup parsley leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for brushing grill
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 (1 1/2-pound) lobsters (live)
- Bread Crumbs:
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Italian Romano cheese
In a heavy 6-quart saucepan over low heat, melt butter and add onions and garlic. Slowly sweat over low heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add flour, stirring to combine, and incorporate all dry ingredients, along with hot sauce. Stir until uniform. Slowly whisk in heavy cream. Raise heat to medium, add cheeses and stir constantly just until cheese is melted. Cook's Note: do not bring this mixture to a boil; the temperature shouldn't exceed 140 degrees F.
Bring 2 gallons of salted water (you should be able to taste the salt, about 1/2 cup) to a boil in a 12-quart pot. Add macaroni; boil about 6 minutes, or until al dente. Strain, and immediately cool by rinsing with ice-cold water.
Ten minutes before you want the mac on the table, in a very large nonstick pan, warm cheese sauce over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a heat-resistant rubber spatula. Once cheese sauce comes to a simmer, add cold pasta and lobster meat. Return to a simmer, stirring constantly. Turn out warm noodles and sauce into large casserole dish, about 6-quart size. Cook's Note: For individual servings, separate noodles into 8 individual casserole dishes.
Top generously with additional shredded Cheddar and bread crumb mixture. Smooth bread crumbs into an even layer over the pasta and pat down with fingers to form a loose crust. Place under broiler until crumbs are an even golden brown. Garnish with chopped parsley, and serve immediately.Grilled Lobster:
In a food processor, combine parsley, garlic, oil and salt. Split lobsters in half from the head down. Remove claws and cook for 5 minutes in boiling water. Remove parcooked claw and knuckle meat and marinate along with split tails in parsley mixture for 20 to 30 minutes. On a well oiled high heat grill, grill lobster tail meat down, along with claw and knuckle meat until charred slightly. Chop lobster meat into 1/2-inch cubes.Bread Crumbs:
In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients until combined. Set aside.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.