Vegetable and Bean Chili
- 4 large onions (1 pound), coarsely chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile, finely chopped (including seeds)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped, with juice
- 4 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped unsweetened chocolate
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Saute onions, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeno in oil in a 8-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, and salt and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add tomatoes with juice and zucchini and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Stir in beans and chocolate and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.