- For the vegetables:
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cups yellow squash, quartered and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup zucchini, quartered and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup English peas, shelled and blanched in salted water
- 1/2 cup sugar snap peas, blanched in salt water
- 1/2 cup haricot vert, cut into 1-inch pieces and blanched
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- Freshly crushed black pepper
- To finish the Frankie:
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- Mixed vegetables
- 2 eggs beaten with 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 4 wheat flour tortillas
- 1 fresh chili, sliced thin
- Chat masala
- Mint sprigs
- Salt and pepper
Method for the vegetables: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Toss the zucchini and the yellow squash with 1 tablespoon of the oil, salt, and pepper and roast until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. In a large rondeau, add 2 more tablespoons of the canola oil and heat over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the cumin and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the onions and continue to cook until lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes. Next, add the garlic, ginger, and turmeric and cook for 3 more minutes. Season well and cool the onions down. Combine the onions with the rest of the cooked vegetables and mix well. Reserve.
For the Frankie: Heat the mixed vegetables in a saute pan until warm. In a large saute pan heat a very small amount of oil. Add the tortilla and a ladle of the beaten eggs. Lift the tortilla up so that the eggs are underneath the tortilla. Once the eggs on that side are cooked (1 minute), flip the tortilla and cook the eggs on the other side. Remove the tortilla from the pan onto a tray. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and eggs. Place the vegetables on top and season with salt, chaat masala and pepper. Place a few sprigs of mint and cilantro on top of the vegetables. Add a few chilies and cover with the chutney. Roll and slice in half. Serve with sliced red onions.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.