Vegetable Fritters with Chick Pea Batter
- 1 cup fine chickpea flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 to 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon peanut or vegetable oil
- 6 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1 bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced in 1/2 inch strips
- 6 medium mushrooms, whole or sliced in half
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
Mix flour and dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add 3/4 cup water and stir to combine. Gradually add more water until mixture is thick enough to coat a finger. Stir in peanut oil. The batter may be made up to 2 hours in advance.
To make fritters, heat oil in a large saucepan to deep-fry temperature (350 degrees F). Dip vegetables, one at a time into the batter and fry until deep brown, about 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with Mint and Cilantro Chutney, Yogurt Sauce, and soy sauce for dipping.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.