- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 (2-pound) rabbit, cut into 2-inch pieces (on the bone)
- 1/4 pound sweet chorizo, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 scallions, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 cup frozen lima beans
- 1/2 cup frozen organic peas
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 cups short-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Combine the stock, saffron, and wine in a saucepan, and bring to a boil while cooking the meat and vegetables.
Heat the olive oil in a wide paella pan set over two burners. Add the rabbit pieces and cook until lightly browned all over, about 10 minutes. Transfer rabbit to a plate and keep warm.
Add chorizo to pan and cook about 3 minutes. Add all of the vegetables, except the tomatoes and garlic, and saute until vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt.
Stir in the tomatoes, garlic, and paprika, and saute 1 minute to release the aromas. Add the rice, toss to coat it with the vegetables, and stir in the parsley.
Preheat an oven to 350degrees F.
Add the hot broth to the pan. Boil for 5 to 10 minutes, or until some of the liquid reduces. (Paella should have just enough liquid to cook rice, but not be soupy). Stir in the reserved rabbit pieces, and adjust seasonings.
Transfer paella pan to the oven and cook, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes, or until rice is almost cooked and most of the liquid is absorbed.
Remove paella from oven, cover loosely, and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.