- 2 tablespoons each of butter and olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup each finely diced celery and carrot
- 1 1/2 cups short grain or Arborio rice
- Minced garlic
- 5 cups simmering water
- 1 cup thawed frozen petite peas
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, optional
Heat the butter and oil in a heavy wide saucepan. When foaming subsides add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add half of the celery and carrot and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender but still crisp. Add the rice and cook, stirring continuously, for 5 minutes or until toasty. Add the garlic and simmer a few seconds. Add 1/2 cup boiling water and cook until rice has fully absorbed it. Continue this way until 1 1/2 cups water have been absorbed, then add 1 cup of boiling water.
After 20 minutes or when the rice is half cooked add the remaining celery and carrot and cook for 10 minutes more. Add the peas and finish cooking the rice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Right before serving, stir in the Parmesan cheese and basil. Garnish with pine nuts.
Recipe Courtesy of �Michelle Urvater