c.1998, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 15 min
- 1 hr
- 15 min
- 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 pound brown, white, or oyster mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 medium leek, white and light green parts, washed
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 small turnip, peeled
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- 1 small zucchini, with skin
- 1 yellow crookneck squash, with skin
- 1/4 pound Chinese snow peas
- 1 tomato, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 3/4 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound vermicelli
- Grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh chives, for garnish
Clean all vegetables and slice into fine julienne, 1/16 inch by 3 inches.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook mushrooms until slightly colored. Add garlic, cook briefly, and reduce heat to moderate. Add leeks with cracked pepper and cook about a minute. Then add salt, turnip, carrot, zucchini, yellow squash, and snow peas. Cook until vegetables soften, about 3 minutes.
Add tomatoes, tomato juice, lemon juice, and water. Bring to a boil and whisk in remaining tablespoon butter. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese.
Meanwhile, bring a large stockpot of salted water to a boil. Cook vermicelli until al dente. Try to time it so that pasta is done just when vegetables are cooked. Drain, transfer to vegetable mixture, and toss to combine. Ladle into bowls and garnish with grated Parmesan and chives. Serve immediately.