Vegetarian Egg Drop Soup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola or corn oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 cup minced scallions, white part only
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3/4 cup rice wine or sake
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 pound snow peas, ends snapped and veiny strings removed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 6 tablespoons water
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten with 2 tablespoons water
Heat a heavy soup pot over high heat, add the oil, and heat until hot, about 20 seconds. Add the tomatoes and scallions, and stir-fry until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add the soy sauce and rice wine or sake, and stir-fry over high heat for 20 seconds. Add the water and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 2 minutes, skimming the surface to remove any impurities. Add the snow peas and stir.
Slowly add the cornstarch mixture and bring the liquid to a boil, stirring to prevent lumps from forming. Once slightly thickened, remove from the heat and slowly add the beaten eggs, pouring them in a thin stream around the edge of the pot. Carefully stir once or twice so that the eggs form thin streamers. Taste for seasoning and ladle into serving bowls.