- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 small Serrano chiles, coarsely chopped, seeds optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, washed, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- Coarse salt, to taste
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 ounces vermicelli
- 3 tablespoons grated Queso Anejo cheese
- Olive oil for frying
Place the tomatoes, garlic, onion and Serrano chiles into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the blended ingredients and saute over medium heat until reduced and thickened, about 4 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the Swiss chard and simmer for about 10 minutes. Salt to taste.
Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Beat in the yolks one at a time with a pinch of salt. When well combined, crumble the uncooked vermicelli into the eggs and add the cheese. Stir until the vermicelli is well coated.
Heat 1/4inch olive oil in a large skillet. When hot, add 3 inch dollops of the egg and vermicelli mixture to the pan. Cook until lightly golden on the underside, about 1 minute. Turn and fry on the other side. Drain on paper towels. Add the vermicelli drops to the broth and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes. Carefully turn the vermicelli once. Serve in deep bowls with 2 vermicelli drops in each.