Viennese Fried Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breasts and thighs, boneless and skinless
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Oil, for deep-frying
- 2 cups flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups bread crumbs or ground panko
- Lemon juice
- Rosemary sprigs, about 6 inches long, remove leaves from the lower half of the stem
- Lemon Rosemary Butter Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
- Lemon wedges
- Lemon Rosemary Butter Dipping Sauce:
- 4 ounces clarified butter
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 lemon, juiced
Cut the chicken into 2-inch pieces and season with salt and pepper.
Preheat a deep pot of oil or a deep fryer to 365 degrees F.
Bread the chicken pieces by first dredging in flour, then dipping in eggs, and lastly, rolling in bread crumbs or panko. Deep-fry in oil until done and golden in color. Drain off excess oil. Season with salt and squeeze fresh lemon juice.Lemon Rosemary Butter Dipping Sauce:
In a small saucepan, heat the butter and rosemary just until warm. Allow to cool for a few minutes. Strain into a sauce bowl. Stir in lemon juice.
Recipe courtesy Wolfgang Puck, 2001
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali