Wagoners' Rice: Arroz Carreteiro
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 13 ounces beef, cut into cubes
- 2 green peppers, seeded and sliced
- 2 red peppers, seeded and sliced
- 2 yellow peppers, seeded and sliced
- 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 12 ounces non-sticky rice
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped, for garnish
With a mortar and pestle, grind together the garlic, salt and freshly ground pepper.
Heat the olive oil in large heavy-based saucepan over high heat until very hot. Add the onions and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until just beginning to brown. Add the garlic paste from the mortar and stir.
Stir in the beef and continue to cook over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes until all the meat is browned. Next add the peppers and tomatoes and stir well.
Slowly pour in the rice. Stir well and add enough water to cover the ingredients by 1-inch.
Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until almost all the water has been absorbed. You may need to add a little more water if the rice is too al dente and the dish quite dry.
Just before serving, sprinkle over the parsley and spring onions.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.