Warm Brown Rice Salad
- 2 3/4 cups salted water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 3 tablespoons each vegetable and olive oil
- 3 to 4 tablespoons rice or Champagne vinegar
- Touch of Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups thawed frozen "petite" peas
- 1/4 cup torn basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley leaves
Bring water to a boil, add brown rice, cover and cook over very low heat for 30 minutes. Check the brown rice; if not tender, cook for 5 minutes longer. Drain and spread the rice out in a shallow bowl to cool somewhat.
While rice is cooking in the bottom of a mixing bowl combine the oils, vinegar, mustard and season to taste with salt and pepper.
When chicken is done, combine the rice, peas, basil and parsley and adjust the seasoning.