Warm Tropical Fruit and Buttermilk Torte with Vanilla Frozen Yogurt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons turbinado raw cane sugar
- 6 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 mango, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 3/4 cup peeled, cored and sliced pineapple
- 3/4 cup diagonally sliced banana
- Caramelized banana slices, recipe follows
- Raspberry Sauce, recipe follows
- Serving Suggestion: Fat-free frozen vanilla yogurt
- Equipment: 10-inch cake pan
- Caramelized Bananas:
- 2 bananas
- 2 tablespoons turbinado raw cane sugar
- Fresh Raspberry Sauce:
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 teaspoon concentrated fruit sweetener
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Cream the butter with 1/2 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy. Add another 1/2 cup of sugar and beat until incorporated. Gradually add in the buttermilk, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the egg whites in 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
In a separate bowl stir together the flour and baking powder. Add the flour mix into the batter with the vanilla and mix together until well incorporated.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and arrange the mango, pineapple, and banana decoratively on the top. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Let the torte cool slightly and slice. Serve each slice warm with a small scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt, 2 caramelized banana slices and 2 tablespoons of raspberry sauce.Caramelized Bananas:
Slice the bananas on the diagonal into 24 slices and place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with the sugar and caramelize under a broiler for 1 to 2 minutes.Fresh Raspberry Sauce:
Yield: 1/2 cup
Thank you! your flag was submitted.