Watercress and Tangerine Salad with Red Onions and Black Pepper Vinaigrette
c.1997, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved
- 6 servings.
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon style mustard
- 2 teaspoons cracked black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Scant 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tangerines, peel and pith removed and cut into segments
- 2 bunches watercress, coarse stems removed, washed and dried
In a bowl, combine the sliced onion with ice water to cover and let soak for 30 to 45 minutes. Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette.
In a glass bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, pepper, salt, and cayenne until thoroughly blended. Drizzle the olive oil over in a thin stream, whisking constantly until all the oil is incorporated.
Drain the soaking onions, pat them dry with paper towels, and separate into rings. In a large bowl, toss the tangerines and the watercress together gently. Drizzle over enough vinaigrette just to coat and toss again. Mound some salad onto the plate and scatter a few onion rings over the top.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Watercress Salad with Dried Fruit and Almonds, Watercress Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette, Butternut Squash and Watercress Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette, Broccoli Salad Recipes, Spinach Salad Recipes, Picnic Salad, Couscous Salad Recipes, Carrot Salad Recipes, Salmon Salad Recipes