- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon style mustard
- 2 teaspoons cracked black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Scant 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tangerines, peel and pith removed and cut into segments
- 2 bunches watercress, coarse stems removed, washed and dried
In a bowl, combine the sliced onion with ice water to cover and let soak for 30 to 45 minutes. Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette.
In a glass bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, pepper, salt, and cayenne until thoroughly blended. Drizzle the olive oil over in a thin stream, whisking constantly until all the oil is incorporated.
Drain the soaking onions, pat them dry with paper towels, and separate into rings. In a large bowl, toss the tangerines and the watercress together gently. Drizzle over enough vinaigrette just to coat and toss again. Mound some salad onto the plate and scatter a few onion rings over the top.