Watercress Salad with Grilled Onions, Peppers and Spicy Candied Walnuts
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 6 tablespoons walnut oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus some for garnish
- 1 small red onion, peeled, cut into thick wedges with stem end left intact
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, cut into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded, cut into strips
- 2 bunches fresh watercress, trimmed and washed
Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add cayenne and sugar and stir until sugar dissolves. Add walnuts and stir until coated. Continue stirring until walnuts are toasted. Using a slotted spoon, transfer walnuts to foil-lined sheet and cool.
Whisk walnut oil, vinegar and 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro in a medium bowl until well blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Prepare barbecue (medium high heat). Combine 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, onion wedges and pepper strips in large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Grill vegetables until tender and blackened in spots. Transfer to large bowl. Add watercress. Toss with dressing. Arrange on platter. Garnish with candied walnuts.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.