- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1 teaspoon coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup small diced watermelon rind
Combine all ingredients except for the rind in a small saucepot, simmer for 5 minutes. Add rind, let steep for 5 minutes. Pour into a bowl and cool over an ice bath.
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 3 sprigs mint
- 2 tablespoons shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
In a small sauce pan heat the vinegar and add the mint sprigs. Reduce by half. Add the remaining ingredients, except the oil and cool. Remove the mint sprigs.When cool whisk in the oil.
- 1 small watermelon rind peeled, flesh cut into medium dice
- 1/4 cup rum (recommended: Sailor Jerry)
- 6 ounces jumbo lump blue crabmeat
- 3/4 pounds mizuna
- 3 radishes, shaved
Toss the watermelon and rum together, set aside. Toss the crab in half of the vinaigrette. Toss the greens and radishes in 1/3 to 1/2 of the vinaigrette. Place the greens and watermelon on the plate, sprinkle with pickled watermelon rind, and top with the crabmeat.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.