- 3 large baking potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 pound smoked sturgeon, sliced and torn into bits
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup minced chives
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (flat leaf)
- Black pepper
- 1 cup Japanese bread crumbs (panko)
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- 1 tablespoon dried sumakh
- Sevruga caviar
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Bake the potatoes until tender, about 40 minutes. Let cool, then scoop out the flesh. Pass through a sieve or ricer. Mix with the eggs, fish, butter, chives, parsley, and pepper. Shape into small patties and dredge in the bread crumbs. Fry the sturgeon cakes in batches, 3 minutes on each side, until browned. They may be held in a 300 degree F oven.
For the Garnish: Mix the sour cream and chives together. Serve a dollop on the side of the fish cakes, sprinkled with sumakh and topped with sevruga.