Wellfleet and Manila Clam Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced garlic
- 1/4 cup finely julienned basil leaves
- 1/2 pound Applewood-smoked bacon, diced and cooked crisp
- 18 Littleneck clams from Wellfleet, MA
- 18 Manila clams
- 1/2 bottle rose wine
- 1 quart canned clam broth
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) butter
- 1/2 cup fennel, finely diced
- 1 ounce preserved Meyer lemon peel, julienned
- Salt and pepper
- Meyer lemon juice, to adjust acidity
Heat a large saucepan until moderately hot. Add olive oil. Saute fennel, bacon and garlic. Add the clams and deglaze with the rose wine. Pull the clams out as they open. Reduce the wine by 3/4. Add the clam broth and bring to a boil. Add the butter to the boiling liquid, continue to boil until the butter is incorporated. Just before serving, add the clams back to the sauce, along with the Meyer lemon peel, basil leaves, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.