- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1 2/3 cup self-rising cake flour
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Scant 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3-inch crinkle round cutter
- Smooth griddle or cast-iron frying pan
Rub the butter into the flour as you would if making biscuits, then stir in the sugar, spice, and dried fruit. Add the egg to make a soft but not sticky dough. Form a disc, cover with plastic wrap, and leave in the refrigerator for a minimum of 20 minutes.
Roll out on a floured surface to a thickness of about 1/4 inch, and cut out your little cakes; you will need to re-roll and so forth but that shouldn't be problematic. Preheat your unoiled griddle or cast-iron frying pan and cook the cakes for about 3 minutes each side, until golden brown. Remove to a cold plate and sprinkle with sugar.