West Coast Bbq Sauce--the Blue Ribbon Winner of Foodtv.Com's Championship Cook-Off
- 1 sweet Vidalia or Maui onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup pineapple juice, reduced to 1/4 cup
- 2 cups chicken stock (not canned - too salty)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (Pendery's Terlingua Won is a good choice)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground dry mustard (Coleman's preferably)
- Juice of one lime
A melting pot of cultural influences, this sauce will jazz up anything you use it on.
Gently saute onion, garlic, and ginger in olive oil and butter until the onion is translucent, but not brown.
Add red wine and cook off alcohol. Add remaining ingredients, except lime juice, and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for at least one hour.
If you want a completely smooth sauce, strain after cooking. Brighten with lime juice after cooking.
The recipes for this contest, which were provided by contributors who may not be professional chefs, have not been tested in Food Network's kitchens. Therefore, Food Network cannot attest to the accuracy of any of the recipes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.