Wheely Good Pasta and Cheese
- 1/2 pound rotelle pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus extra for ramekins
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 6 ounces Gruyere, shredded
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Special Equipment: 4 (8-ounce) ramekins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large pot of salted boiling water cook the pasta until almost al dente, then drain and set aside. Butter 4 ramekins. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and then add flour stirring to combine. Cook until mixture begins to bubble, 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Lower heat and stir until sauce thickens, about 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove from heat and add cheese. Stir until cheese melts completely. Season with salt, to taste, depending on saltiness of the cheese. Stir in cooked pasta, then pour into the ramekins. In a small bowl combine bread crumbs, pepper and Parmesan. Sprinkle each ramekin lightly with the bread crumb mixture and bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.