White Bean and Churrasco Salad
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon aji molido (Argentine ground pepper)
- Pinch coarse sea salt
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- Olive oil
- 2 (1 1/2 pound) skirt steaks, cleaned of silver skin
- 2 cups dry white beans, allow to soak in water 24 hours before cooking
- 1 strip smoked bacon
- 1 yellow onion, halved
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced thinly
- 1 cup red teardrop tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup yellow teardrop tomatoes, halved
- 1 red pepper, roasted, peeled, and cut into julienne
- 1 yellow pepper, roasted, peeled, and cut into julienne
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Chimichurri: Combine garlic, aji, and salt in a mortar. Add vinegar, water, and drizzle in oil.
Steak: Marinate steak in all but 1 tablespoon chimichurri for about 1 hour, covered and refrigerated.
In a large pot, cover beans with water and cook with bacon and onion, without salt. Allow to simmer until tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Strain the beans, reserving the cooking liquid. Remove and discard the bacon and onion. Put back the cooking liquid on the stove, allow to boil until cooking liquid is starchy and thick. Reserve 1 cup.
Grill steak until medium rare, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Slice steak into 2-inch pieces. Mix into the beans add all the other ingredients, including the reserved chimichurri and reduced cooking liquid. Season and serve at room temperature.