White Chicken Chili with Cheddar Hushpuppy Crust
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 (19-ounce) can cannellini beans
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (4 1/2-ounce) can mild green chiles, drained
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 (6-ounce) package cornbread mix (recommended: Martha White brand Cotton Pickin or Buttermilk)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- Sour cream, optional, for garnish
- Salsa, optional, for garnish
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, optional, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.Filling:
In a 10 1/2-inch cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add 1 cup onion, garlic, green pepper, cumin, and chili powder, and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Add the lime juice, cannellini beans, chicken, broth, and green chiles, and stir until just combined. Remove from the heat and set aside.Crust:
In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg. Add the milk, butter, and cornbread mix, and blend well. Stir in 1/4 cup onion and the cheese. Pour over the chicken chili in the skillet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the cornbread is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes.
If desired, top with sour cream, salsa, and cilantro before serving.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.