Whole Branzino Roasted in Sea Salt with Aromatic Herbs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons light extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Aromatic Herbs, recipe follows
- 1 Mediterranean branzino (about 2 pounds)
- 6 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 pounds sea salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons dried Aromatic Herbs
- Aromatic Herbs:
- 1 teaspoon chopped dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped dried thyme
1 sheet parchment paper
Serving suggestions: Steamed vegetables and plain mashed potatoes
To make the vinaigrette sauce: In a small bowl, mix together salt and lemon juice, and then add the olive oil. When it comes time to serve, mix the aromatic herb mixture into the sauce, see Cook's note*.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Clean and dry the branzino. In a bowl, mix egg whites, flour, sea salt, and the aromatic herbs, creating a smooth mixture. Line the bottom of a baking pan with the parchment paper. Place the branzino onto the parchment paper. Cover the entire branzino (top and all sides but not the bottom) with the sea salt mixture.
Bake for 20 minutes, and then remove from oven. While the fish is still in the baking pan, crack open the sea salt case, push it to the side, then fillet. Place the branzino fillets onto a plate. Serve with vinaigrette sauce on the side, steamed vegetables and plain mashed potatoes.
*Cook's Note: Don't add the herbs too early, or the lemon juice will cook them.Aromatic Herbs:
Combine all herbs.
Recipe courtesy Gino Angelini