Whole Roast Fish Baked in Salt
- Olive oil, for brushing baking sheet
- 1 (2-pound) whole red snapper, cleaned and scaled
- 1 (3-inch) sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 (3-inch) sprig fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 1/2 pounds Kosher salt
- Extra-virgin olive oil and lemon wedges, for serving
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet large enough to hold the snapper.
On the baking sheet, spread about 1/2 pound of the salt in an even layer that is slightly longer and wider than the snapper. Place the fish on the salt layer and cover completely with the remaining salt.
Bake until a instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the fish reads 130/, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven. Brush away as much salt as possible. Using two dessert spoons, remove the top fillets and transfer to a warm plate. Lift off the bones, then transfer the bottom fillets to another plate. Serve immediately, with the extra-virgin olive oil and lemon wedges passed on the side so each diner can season their fish as desired.
Recipe Courtesy of Terrance Brennan