Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Greens, Lemon, and Ginger
- 1 (16-ounce) package whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/3 cup lemon olive oil, recipe follows, or olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 1/2 tablespoons julienned strips peeled, fresh ginger (from a 1-inch piece ginger)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds baby bok choy or 2 bunches broccoli rabe, cut crosswise into 1-inch squares
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Lemon Olive Oil:
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, olive oil, grapeseed oil, or other vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions, or until al dente. Drain the pasta in a colander.
Heat the lemon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the raisins, ginger, zest, garlic, salt, and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually add the greens, and as the leaves begin to wilt, add more to fit in the pan, turning constantly with tongs; cook until the greens are wilted and bright green, about 5 minutes. Add the vinegar and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Return the pasta to the cooking pot, add the vegetable mixture, and toss to combine well. Serve hot.Lemon Olive Oil:
Place the oil and the zest in a glass jar. Let stand at room temperature for at least 2 weeks, shaking occasionally.
Pour the oil through a strainer and discard the zest. Transfer to a jar and store, tightly covered, at in refrigerator.
Yield: 1 cup
Recipe courtesy of Lori Longbotham
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay
Recipe courtesy of Ellie Krieger