A Yummy Winter Salad of Beets, Fennel, and Apples, with Stilton and Maple-Candied Pecans
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 large (uncooked) beet, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 Fuji apple (or any other hard apple), peeled, cored and coarsely grated
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, stems discarded, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces Stilton, or other blue cheese, crumbled
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Pour maple syrup into a small bowl. Toss nuts in syrup, remove with a slotted spoon, and bake on aluminum foil or a cookie sheet for approximately 10 minutes, or until nuts are roasted and syrup solidifies around nuts.
In a large bowl, add beet, apple, fennel, mint, salt and pepper. Toss. Add oil and vinegar, stilton and nuts. Toss and serve immediately.