- 1 whole chicken, butterflied
- Olive oil, for coating
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Barbecue Sauce, recipe follows
Coat the chicken with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the chicken directly over the hottest part of the grill to sear. Once seared on both sides remove to a cooler part of the grill. Baste both sides with barbecue sauce and cover the grill. Cook until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees F.
- Peanut oil
- 3 red onions, sliced into 1/2- inch rounds
- 3 red bell peppers, cored
- 2 apples, cored and quartered
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups molasses
- 3 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 8 Thai chilies, stemmed
Toss the onion, red bell pepper, and apples in the peanut oil to coat. Place on the grill for about 15 minutes. Remove and roughly chop.
In a large pot on a hot grill add the chopped vegetables and the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove and puree until smooth.
Yield: 3 quarts