- 24 large shrimp, peeled and de-veined with the tails left on
- 1 tablespoon chopped lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 5 scallions, whites cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths and greens chopped
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Peanut oil, for drizzling
- 1 small head radicchio, nice outer leaves removed and reserved, rest chiffonade
- 1 bunch watercress, cleaned
- 1 lime
Preheat the grill to high.
In a large, nonreactive bowl, combine the lemongrass, ginger, garlic, scallion greens, soy sauce, sesame oil, and honey and whisk well. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 15 to 30 minutes.
Place the skewers on a flat plate and drizzle with peanut oil. It is not necessary to salt the skewers because soy sauce has so much salt in it. Place the shrimp skewers on the grill and cook about 3 minutes per side, or just until the shrimp curls, turns red and does not appear clear at all. Be careful not to overcook.
Place the whole radicchio leaves around the edge of a platter. Mound the chiffonade radicchio and watercress inside the leaves and around the platter. Remove the skewers from the grill and place on the bed of greens. Squeeze the juice of a lime over the shrimp.
*Cook's Note: if using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before placing on the grill.