- 4 ounces heavy cream
- 10 ounces milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise, scrape inside
- 2/3 cup fresh ricotta, recipe follows
- 2 1/2 gelatin leaves or 1 1/4 teaspoons gelatin powder, bloomed in a bowl of tap water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 2 tablespoons minced Sweet Preserved Lemons, recipe follows
- 1 pound assorted fresh berries
- 2 cups Fresh Raspberry Puree, recipe follows
Arrange 1/4 cup of mixed berries in the bottom of a chilled martini glass. Repeat the process to 7 more glasses. Divide the cream evenly among the 8 glasses. Smooth the top and allow to chill at least 1 hour.
Pour about 2 ounces of the Fresh Raspberry Puree or enough to cover the surface of the panna cotta. Chill at least 1 hour to allow to set completely. Serve chilled.
- 6 cups whole milk
- 6 ounces yogurt
- 6 ounces heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
In a pot, whisk together all above ingredients. Over medium heat, slowly bring the mixture to a boil. Once the mixture comes to a boil, turn off heat, stir once and allow to set for 2 minutes.
Line a colander with a double thickness of cheesecloth. Slowly pour the mixture into it and let it drain for about 15 minutes, or until the cheese is thick. Transfer fresh ricotta into a non-reactive container. Keep refrigerated until needed.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups
Sweet Preserved Lemons:
- 10 lemons, preferably Meyers, halved crosswise, juice and pith removed
- Water, for blanching
- 1 pound sugar
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Blanch the cleaned lemon halves for 1 minute. Drain. Repeat the process 2 more times, making sure that you use fresh water each time. After the final blanching, drain the peels.
In a saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Add the blanched peels and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and transfer to a covered container. Allow to cool in the refrigerator. This will keep for months in the refrigerator. Use as needed.
Yield: 2 pounds
Fresh Raspberry Puree:
Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and reduce until thickened. Strain. Use as needed.
Yield: 2 cups