- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 3 cups soda water, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- Assorted vegetables and seafood (scallops, broccoli, mushrooms, eggplant, squash, onions, scallions, asparagus, shrimp) all vegetables should be sliced thin so they fry quickly.
- Hot Chinese Mustard Sauce, recipe follows
- Sesame Scallion Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
In a small bowl, combine the rice flour and 1/2 cup soda water. Stir until blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and cornstarch. Sift into a medium bowl. Stir in the remaining 2 1/2 cups soda water, salt and cayenne. Lastly add the rice flour mixture. Allow to rest in the refrigerator at least 1 hour before use. Check the consistency of the batter by dipping a piece of vegetable and cook in a preheated deep fryer at 350 to 375 degrees F. Additional soda water may be needed to adjust thickness.
Hot Chinese Mustard Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons Chinese dry mustard (or Colman's English Mustard Powder)
- Pinch turmeric
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup pickled ginger liquid
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
- 1 tablespoon roasted (dark) sesame oil
- 1 cup peanut oil
In a bowl, dissolve the dry mustard and turmeric in the water and rice wine vinegar. Stir in the pickled ginger liquid, lemon juice, and sugar and whisk until well blended. Combine the chili, sesame and peanut oils. Slowly whisk in the oil to the mustard mixture until emulsified. Refrigerate until needed. This can be prepared up to 1 week ahead.
Sesame Scallion Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon wasabi
- 2 tablespoons roasted (dark) sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions or green onions
In a small bowl, whisk together the mirin, sugar, lemon juice, soy, and wasabi. Stir in the sesame oil and scallions. Use as needed.