- 1 (3 to 3 1/2 pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 6 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery (2 ribs)
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots (2 small)
- 2 limes zested and juiced
- 1 fresh hot chile pepper ( Scotch bonnet or habanero), quartered
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 quart chicken stock
- Garnish and accompaniment:
- 2 cups julienned carrots, blanched
- 2 cups julienned leeks, blanched
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Serving Suggestions:
- Cooked enriched rice, as an accompaniment
- Sauteed Greens, as an accompaniment
Marinate chicken for 3 to 5 hours in onions, garlic, celery, carrots, lime juice, and hot pepper. Strain, remove chicken and pat dry. Reserve vegetables. Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown in Dutch oven in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Remove chicken, and pour off excess fat.
Remove chicken and reserve in warm place (oven preheated to 250 degrees). Strain sauce through china cap or sieve. Season the sauce with lime zest, salt, and pepper. Warm the chicken in sauce. Warm the blanched carrots and leeks in 1/2 cup water and 1 tablespoon butter, plus salt and pepper. Serve the chicken with enriched rice and greens, and garnished with the blanched vegetables.
Chef: Tanya Holland
Thank you! your flag was submitted.