Yellow Split Pea Soup with Salt Pork
- 1 pound dried yellow split peas
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 small onions, finley chopped
- 1 pound salt pork in a piece
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Wash the yellow split peas carefully. Cover them with chicken broth, add the chopped onions, salt pork, bay leaf and herbs and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 1 to1 1/4 hours or until the peas are tender but have not fallen apart.
Remove salt pork from the soup; discard the bay leaf and season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Cut the salt pork into 1/4 inch slices. Place a few slices of pork in individual serving bowls, ladle soup over the pork and serve with good rye bread.
Recipe Courtesy of �Michelle Urvater