Zesty Lemon Chicken
- 6 to 8 tablespoons mild-flavored honey
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoon lemon pulp
- 2 tablespoons plum sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, butterflied
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
In a small bowl, combine egg with the salt and white pepper. Lightly coat the chicken with the cornstarch; dip into the egg mixture and coat in the cornstarch again. Let it stand for 5 minutes. Shake off the excess cornstarch prior to cooking.
In a wok, heat the oil until hot. Cook the chicken, a couple pieces at a time, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Bring the sauce to a boil over medium heat; add the cornstarch solution and cook, stirring, until the sauce boils and thickens.
Cut the chicken across the grain into 1/2-inch slices. Place the chicken on a serving plate. Pour the sauce on top and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
Adapted from "Martin Yan's Chinatown Cooking"