Zombie Eyeball Punch
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon calcium lactate (used for reverse spherification)
- 1 tablespoon melted chocolate
- 1 teaspoon blue colored cocoa butter
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jelly
- 2 cups sodium Alginate Solution, recipe follows
- 1 1/2 cups lime soda, or your soda of preference
- Alginate Solution:
- 1 teaspoon sodium alginate
- 2 cups cold water
Meanwhile prepare the molds (I use a small flexi-mold, but any mold that is able to be flexible will do) with a dot of melted chocolate to resemble a pupil, and place in the refrigerator to set. Then brush the blue cocoa butter to resemble the iris, and pipe in the jelly to resemble bloody veins.
Unmold the eyeballs and leave them soaking in the Alginate Solution for about 2 minutes. Then rinse with cold water and store in the fridge until you are ready to serve.Alginate Solution:
Sprinkle the sodium alginate into the water and, using a hand blender, mix the solution until there is no more visible powder left. This takes a couple of minutes. Chill the solution until you are ready to use it.
Contestant/Competition Recipe: This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested it for home use and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Teresa Shurilla, Halloween Wars 3, 2012