Zuppa di Raffano
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 4 ounces speck, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 2 medium Spanish onions, finely chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup freshly grated horseradish (have horseradish whole to show) plus 1/4 cup
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
In a heavy bottomed 6 quart soup pot, heat lard and speck until smoking over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft but not brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add potatoes, horseradish, chicken stock, cream and wine and bring to a boil. Boil 15 minutes and lower heat to medium. Cook just below the boil for 1 hour, until potatoes have fallen apart. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with scallions, fresh horseradish and poppy seeds.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.