Season 2, Episode 3
Tooling Up Your Kitchen
See Tune-In Times
Jack asks Frederic to help her outfit her kitchen with necessary tools for the beginner cook. Recipes include: Crispy Potatoes with Bacon, Garlic and Parsley; Pan-Grilled Chicken with Gremolata.
Below youll find a helpful episode guide for cooking along with Frederic and Jack, as well as tips and recipe rescues.
- Medium saucepan with lid
- Chefs knife
- Pairing knife
- Serrated knife
- Cutting board
- Potato scrubber
- Pepper mill
- Measuring spoons
- 1 large regular or non-stick skillet
- Slotted spoon
- Wooden spoon
- Metal spatula
- Grill pan
- Pastry brush
- Dry measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cup
When buying pots and pans, consider these factors:
- Conductivity: A good pot or pan should transmit heat efficiently.
- Weight: Heavier, thicker gauge pans distribute heat more evenly and hold it longer, preventing scorching and promoting even browning.
- Non-reactive: Some materials, such as aluminum, react to acidic ingredients, imparting a metallic taste and an unappetizing gray color.
A good starter set of pots and pans might include:
- 10-inch skillet
- 12-inch skillet
- 2-quart saucepan
- 4-quart saucepan
When selecting knives, keep in mind the following:
- A good knife will be sturdy and well-balanced.
- Look for knives made of high-carbon stainless steel.
- The "tang" (the handle end of the blade) should extend all the way to the end of the handle.
- Most importantly, the knife should feel comfortable in your hand.
- If potatoes stick to the bottom of the pan - Use tongs to turn them occasionally while cooking, and use a wide metal spatula to scrape them up (use a wide hard plastic spatula if you have a non-stick skillet so as not to damage the finish). Next time, try cooking potatoes in a non-stick skillet, or use a little more fat.
- If your chicken is undercooked - Cook the first side until the edges become white and opaque; then flip the breasts and cook on the other side until firm to the touch. If you slice the chicken and it is still pink in the middle, return the slices to the pan and continue cooking until completely cooked through.