The History of Iron Chef
Get the back-story on Food Network's hit show.
Iron Chef History
- Iron Chef America is based on a hugely popular Japanese show once aired on Fuji TV.
- Japan's Iron Chef began airing in October, 1993 as a half-hour program.
- Salmon was the very first secret ingredient ever used on Iron Chef.
- Iron Chef America became a favorite in the United States in 1999 when it was picked up by Food Network and dubbed in English.
- Iron Chef quickly became a cult favorite in America. The show was lampooned on Saturday Night Live.
- Takeshi Kaga was Japan's chairman. Iron Chef America's Chairman, Mark Dacascos, is Kaga's nephew.
- Before Japan's Iron Chef, chefs in the country did not have a high position in society. The show helped to elevate recognition and respect for chefs in Japan.
- America's first Iron Chefs were Bobby Flay, Mario Batali and Wolfgang Puck.
- The original Kitchen Stadium in Japan is where six tons of rice, five tons of eggs, a ton each of chicken, beef, pork and assorted seafoods were combined with over two tons of tomatoes and a ton of mushrooms. All of that was topped off with ten pounds of caviar.
- In total, Japan's Kitchen Stadium used approximately $8 million dollars worth of groceries over the show's run.
- Keiichi Tanaka directed all 297 episodes of Japan's Iron Chef.
- Over the history of Japan's Iron Chef and Iron Chef America, injuries have included Masaharu Morimoto being bitten by a monkfish and Hiroyuki Sakai being bitten by a squid. Bobby Flay was the most badly injured when in one episode, he seriously cut his finger and was nearly electrocuted.
Learn the best tips and tricks for cooking and buying salmon, including delicious and easy-to-make recipes, in this guide from Food Network.
Find 1000s of Food Network's best recipes from top chefs, shows and experts. And watch videos demonstrating recipe prep and cooking techniques.
A guide to buying and preparing octopus
Create your own seafood dinner for the grill.
Discover Food Network's guide to buying and cooking monkfish. This expert guide will help you find delicious, easy-to-make recipes.
Call it the ultimate holiday potluck: Seven chefs bring seven great dishes to the table for an old Italian Christmas Eve tradition.
How to buy and store the freshest seafood
Follow these simple steps to pick and store fish properly.
A guide to buying and cooking flounder.
Learn how this confection became so popular.