Low Carb and Lovin' It
Living a low-carb lifestyle doesnt mean forgoing dessert. Really! Chef George Stella and his wife, Rachel, whip up a variety of tasty treats: NY ricotta cheesecake, double chocolate walnut brownies, and praline pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream. Eating low carb has never been tastier.
Top 5 Tips
1. Sour cream is a great low carb choice for all of your cooking and baking needs.
2. When a recipe calls for you to "butter and flour" the pan, use non-stick cooking spray and a mix of wheat bran and soy flour instead.
3. Walnuts are a great source of omega-3 fatty oils, the same oils found in salmon which, when consumed in moderation, actually help reduce cholesterol and blood pressure.
4. You can create your own, carb-curbed desserts. Try substituting soy flour for white flour and sugar substitute for the real thing. Eggs and cream are low carb and help your baked goods rise, so don't eliminate them.
5. Reinvent the piecrust with a simple mixture of melted butter (approx. two tablespoons for one crust), some ground spices, and diced pecans.