$ Tip: Buy things in season when you can. If it's out of season, shop for it in the frozen section.
- Fresh blueberries in season are $0.99 cents a pint; out of season they are $2.99. If you buy them frozen, blueberries are only $1.99.
$ Tip: Sometimes you don't pay for convenience.
- Whole Mushrooms cost the same as pre-chopped or sliced mushrooms.
- Boxed pound cake costs less than making from scratch (due to the amount of butter).
- Eggs: Hard-boiled and peeled go on sale for same price as raw eggs on Tuesdays.
$ Tip: Shop for inexpensive cuts of meats that fit your budget.
- Fish, such as tilapia, can cost $6.99/lb, Cod $10.99/lb, and Halibut $14.99/lb.
- In comparison to ground meat, 80% lean ground beef costs $2.99/lb, 80%lean ground pork costs $2.49/lb, 90% ground veal or turkey costs about $2.99/lb.
$ Tip: Store Brand vs. Name Brand
- We all love a good sale! Name brand products are on sale in the beginning of the month (when families have just been paid) and private label store brands go on sale at the end of the month (when families may have less in their budget).
$ Tip: Expiration date: There is a misconception that you have to throw food away.
- Fact: The date is just a "for-sale by date." These items are good for five more days.