10 Simple Halloween Party Food Hacks for Kids
Here are 10 of the simplest ways to bring tons of Halloween fun to a party, classroom or family table in just minutes.
1. Creepy-Crawly Caterpillars (pictured above): Thread green grapes onto a long wooden skewer until it's completely covered. Add mini chocolate chips to each grape on the very end for eyes (use a little frosting or cream cheese for glue).
2. Spider Sandwiches: Use a biscuit cutter to cut bread into 3- to 4-inch rounds. Spread with the usual favorite fillings like PB&J. Add four pretzel sticks to each side for legs, then put the sandwich top on. Use peanut butter for glue as you add two raisins for eyes.
3. Pumpkin Pudding Cups: Cut the tops off tangerines and hollow them out. Fill with pudding and use a permanent marker to make a goofy jack-o'-lantern grin on each one.
4. Green Goblin Punch: Use a juicer or blender to puree a combination of orange juice and pineapple juice plus a handful of fresh spinach. Instant green!
5. Mummy Dogs: Wrap regular hot dogs in strips of premade crescent dough. Bake in the oven and add two mustard dots for eyes.
6. Jack-o'-Lantern Cracker Bags: Draw jack-o'-lantern faces on sandwich bags, fill three-quarters full with cheese crackers and tie with a green twist tie.
7. Banana Ghosts: Cut bananas in half to make two ghosts. Add three chocolate chips to each one, making a pair of eyes and a little mouth that looks like it's saying "Boo!"
8. Witches' Brooms (pictured above): Cut a piece of string cheese in half lengthwise, then use a paring knife to slice "straw." Poke a pretzel stick in the center for the handle and wrap a fresh chive around the top of the straw.
9. Hot Zombie Soup: Prepare your favorite broccoli and cheddar soup, but puree it for a few extra minutes to get the texture extra smooth. Call this smooth green soup "Zombie Soup" and add a couple of croutons in fun shapes: Use Halloween cookie cutters (which you can use in another way below) to cut regular bread into the shape of a haunted house, a bat, etc., then toast in the broiler before slathering with butter, salt and a pinch of garlic powder.
10. Halloween Cheese and Crackers: Buy slices of cheese and simply use any Halloween cookie cutters to produce pumpkins, witches on brooms, black cats and so on.