Garden Fresh: Best 5 Homemade Salsas
In many homes, jarred salsas are a must-have refrigerator staple — they’re convenient, tasty and an easy pre-dinner party snack. But they’re also expensive and laden with sodium and preservatives. This week, instead of reaching for grocery-store salsa, prepare a batch of the homemade variety instead. From-scratch salsas are more flavorful and just as easy to make, plus they boast the best of summer’s bounty of fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs. Check out Food Network’s top five homemade salsa recipes below and serve them as an appetizer with tortilla chips, atop simply grilled chicken or seafood, or with authentic Mexican tacos , burritos and more.
5. Grilled Corn Salsa – To prepare this five-star salsa (pictured above), grill in-season corn and tomatoes until tender and cooked, then finish with onions, a drizzle of vinegar and fresh basil.
4. Salsa Fresca – Before serving, Tyler lets his cilantro-laced salsa stand for 15 minutes, so that its light, bright flavors can marry.
3. Black Bean Salsa – Paula takes traditional tomato salsa to the next delicious level by adding to it creamy avocado and chewy black beans.
2. Mango Salsa – With tender mango, cool cucumber, raw jalapeño and onion, Ellie’s sweet and savory salsa is a quick-to-prepare recipe that uses just six ingredients.
1. Homemade Salsa – Ready to taste in just 10 quick minutes, Paula’s 10-minute salsa can be easily customized to your family’s tastes — just add your favorite ingredients, like avocado, pineapple and black beans, to the classic tomato bell pepper base.