Best 5 Slow-Cooker Recipes
On days when you know there's not going to be any time to devote to cooking, there's just one tool that makes it easy to get dinner on the table quickly: the slow cooker. This user-friendly gadget is perhaps the most go-to kitchen appliance in many families' homes, as it will do most of the mealtime preparation for you. Once you slice and dice a few vegetables, season the meat, and add spices and liquids, all you have left to do is flip on the machine; you can leave the machine unattended for hours, then come home to a ready-to-eat meal. While soups and stews are classic slow-cooker favorites, the machine's versatility is far-reaching, as it's able to turn out pastas, pork and even candy with ease. Check out Food Network's top-five slow-cooker recipes below to find both sweet and savory dishes that are easy enough to make on hectic weekdays.
5. Slow-Cooker Chocolate Candy — Trisha uses just four ingredients to make her salty-sweet treat, studded with peanuts for a welcome crunch. She lets the candy cook in the slow cooker before spooning it into cupcake liners and letting it cool.
4. Slow-Cooker Pork Tacos — Guarantee moist and tender shredded pork by cooking the meat in a richly flavorful sauce of pureed chipotles, honey and vinegar, and let your family members build their own tacos by serving the pork with a spread of classic toppings.
3. Slow-Cooker Chicken Chili — Filled with both white and kidney beans, plus hearty sweet potatoes and ground turkey, this comforting bowl is finished with a heaping pinch of chili powder, which "brightens the flavor of the chili," according to Food Network Kitchens.
2. Slow-Cooker Macaroni and Cheese — Trisha's big-batch mac boasts an extra-creamy texture, thanks to a duo of milks — evaporated and whole — plus plenty of cheddar cheese.
1. Slow-Cooker Beef Paprikash — Satisfying and simple to make, this stew-like dish (pictured above) features tender meat cooked in a tomato sauce with paprika and caraway, then finished with a swirl of tangy sour cream. Make it an all-in-one supper by serving plain noodles or your favorite potatoes on the side.
The slow cooker's ability to cook dinner while you're away at work is only one of its many merits. Breakfast, lunch, dessert, party food and even holiday gifts are made infinitely easier when left to the gentle heat of a slow cooker.