Best 5 Christmas Brunch Recipes
While Christmas dinner may be the centerpiece meal in most homes come next week's holiday, brunch isn't to be forgotten, as it's often quicker and simpler to prepare than supper, even if you're cooking for guests. This year, whether you'll be hosting a crowd on Christmas morning or simply unwrapping presents with your family, enjoy a spread of sweet and savory brunch picks, like crispy peppered bacon, Alton's golden-brown French toast and Ina's indulgent bread pudding. Check out Food Network's top-five Christmas brunch picks below to find these recipes and more to complete your holiday celebration.
5. Breakfast Casserole — Filled with all of your favorite breakfast components — bread, eggs, sausage, potatoes and gooey cheese — this big-batch casserole can be assembled the night before and baked when you're ready to enjoy it on Christmas morning.
4. Maple-Pepper Bacon — No matter what else you're serving at brunch, be sure to round out the meal with a batch of Food Network Magazine's crispy bacon, baked instead of fried, with a sweet and savory topping of maple syrup and pepper.
3. French Toast — Mix up Alton's custard before you go to sleep on Christmas Eve, then wake up to a go-to breakfast in the morning; just dunk slices of bread into the mixture of eggs and half-and-half, then cook them until they're deliciously golden brown.
2. Western Skillet Eggs — Start by sauteing sweet shallots and bell peppers before adding ham, cherry tomatoes and bread to create the base of the dish, then crack a few eggs right on top and bake the dish until the eggs are set. It's important to start cooking in an ovenproof skillet, as it moves from the stovetop to the oven seamlessly.
1. Panettone Bread Pudding — Rich and moist in the center with a lightly toasted crust of sugared almonds on the outside, Ina's crowd-pleasing bread pudding (pictured above) relies on a loaf of Italian panettone — a dried fruit-studded sweet bread — to turn out indulgent results every time. Click the play button on the video below to watch her make it.